Creating and managing your own database can be a daunting prospect for the uninitiated. FileMaker Pro combines both power and simplicity giving you the tools you need to create your own with the minimum of fuss.
Everything runs through the simple FileMaker Quick Start Screen which allows you to do everything from creating a new database, open an existing database or learn more about using FileMaker Pro 11. Click on "Send Link" and FileMaker Pro will create an email with a simple hyperlink that when clicked on, will open your database. You can edit the email in your email client to add any additional instructions or information about your database for your users.
For those terrified of MySQL, PHP or Oracle, FileMaker Pro 11 also takes the pain out by allowing you to administer both without any programming knowledge. For those already familiar with PHP+ and MySQL the only real advantage is here is a GUI and layout editor though.
FileMaker Pro 11 has introduced several new features such as Filemaker Charts which allow you to illustrate and represent data in easy to read bar charts, pie charts etc. You can also now create spreadsheet reports including a much enhanced layout and report assistant.
FileMaker Pro 11 is no substitute for solid PHP/MySQL knowledge and experience. However, it does bring an attractive GUI and more user friendly approach to database creation that novices will definitely appreciate.
- File references performance:
- Mac OS X: Improved performance when opening a hosted file that references multiple related files by DNS name rather than an IP address.
- Mac OS X: Addressed an issue where using printing presets created in another application to print in FileMaker caused the FileMaker print options to disappear the next time you tried to print.
- Windows and Mac OS X: Addressed an issue with text in a field spanning one or more page breaks being horizontally truncated in printouts, previews, and PDF exports.
- Send Mail:
- Mac OS X: Addressed an issue where Send Mail did not work with Outlook 2011.